6/20/08

An OnStar for every season

My first experience with OnStar was earlier this year. I was traveling through a remote part of Michigan with my roommates from school, en route to my friend Jim's family cabin on the lake. Evening was swiftly approaching. The only open shops in sight were a few elk jerky outlets, which we neglected to visit. Only two miles from the cabin, Jim made an awkward and decidedly unnecessary manuever. He drove us off the road into a snowbank. And despite our best laid efforts, we weren't going anywhere.

Happy camper -->

After coming to terms with the failure of our He-man strength, Jim consulted the OnStar button located within his father's Saturn Outlook. We were assured that help would come, but to be patient because of our off the beaten path location. With the promise of rescue, we huddled in the car and listened to the musical stylings of our beloved Carrie Underwood to pass the time. I wish I could say I was kidding, but alas I cannot.

The wait was without incident, with the exception of a creepy truck driver who stopped by our predicament at first to offer help and then to ask menacingly, "Y'all boys been drinkin?" Rest assured, partying was the last thing on our minds. Soon after when our help arrived, it was truly a beautiful sight to behold.



^ The Saturn is removed from the dark clutches of the snowbank. Why we photographed all of this, I know not.

Flash forward to summer: OnStar and I reunited earlier this week, thankfully without vehicular distress in the picture. This time, I had the opportunity to tour their command center. I was blown away by all the technology in my midst - from the giant maps that display all incoming calls throughout the country, to on-site simulation stations.



OnStar is not your mother's operator service (am I too young to use that phrase??). The center takes into consideration a variety of potential crises that could unfold, and even have an aptly-titled "situation room" to best tackle whatever, er, situations may arise. When I was there I also learned about their Stolen Vehicle Slowdown program. This initiative uses technology to literally take the speed out of vehicles that are reported stolen, making it easier for police to apprehend thieves. I see it as OnStar's way to take a bite out of crime as it were.

Whether helping foolish college students make their way out of a compromising situation, cramping the style of carjackers nationwide, or lending a hand when things take a turn for the worse on the road, I think OnStar is both a cool and progressive service and I'm glad I got to check it out first hand.


No comments: